View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hi.

I loved your post.

Brought me back to a time when I called a record player...a VICTROLA.

Can you imagine?? We used to call them Victrolas.

Now just imagine talking to any 20 year old and asking "Do you know what a Victrola is?"

You won't find one who ever heard of this?

They probably never heard of Paul Newman either.

How sad.

All the good stuff is YEARS GONE BY!!!

When I was 13, I bought all the Frankie Avalon, Fabian and Bobby Rydell 45's.

I remember buying some kind of little plastic insert thing that fitted in the center of the 45 and then you plopped it on the turntable and put the needle over the edge of the 45.

God ...that image just came back to me.

And sometimes the needle would stick and the same words played over and over, until you picked up the needle and put it someplace else.

I even remember the bigger ones. Not 45's. I can't remember what they were called. They were these HUGE ROUND RECORDS. My parents had them. I don't know what they played on, but they had Tommy Dorsey and Al Jolson. God, I loved Al Jolson.

Then I graduated to Sony Walkmans and cassettes with headphones.

Never did the 8 track tape thing. Never bought them. I have no idea why. Weren't they AFTER 45'S but BEFORE Cassettes?

The other day I was in Radio Shack and two older gentlemen walked in and asked for blank cassettes. You should have seen the look the 20 year old (who worked behind the counter) gave them. He said "you use cassettes???" He found the blank ones for them.

Now we have ipods, and mp3, and god knows what we will have in 10 years.

I still use VCRs.

I'm from the old school.

lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote