Thread: Vinyl Records
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 01:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have an old RCA New Vista Victrola stereo cabinet from around 1955. It's got the stack-o-matic record changer, and is in very nice condition (a great decorative piece of furniture with a nice modern look).

I was buying similar records at that age, except I'm only 19 years old. I don't quite remember where I got my interest in old music, or record collecting for that matter, but I think it started when I was in the 5th grade. When I was only a freshman in high school, i had accumulated hundreds of 45s from the 50s and 60s. I have too many today, as my father tells me, who wants them out of the house for taking up too much space (but they're here to stay).

I recently picked up a mint LP of "Bobby Rydell's Biggest Hits, Volume 2." It has the original Bobby Rydell stickers on the back of the album, which are still usable.

I love that about records - you can hold them and appreciate album art work. CD's don't have that today. Some other great album covers are "Sticky Fingers" by the Rolling Stones (which had the zipper), "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake" by The Small Faces (which was round, not square), and "Big Bamboo" by Cheech and Chong (which came with a giant piece of rolling paper). If only modern albums were so progressive and artistic... that would be nice.

The older records are called 78s (not vinyl). I have a bunch of 78s from the swing years and a bunch of doo wop records. My favorite two 78s are "Pledging my Love" by Johnny Ace and "Tonite Tonite" by the Mello-Kings.