View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 08:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Gday Ricco, I am new to the site but have been through much of what you are saying (still am).
I have suffered for close on 14 years now with neck and back pain (19 years old when it happened as a policeman). Cervical fusions C-6/7 first by use of Titanium plates and screws, however the plate snapped (yep snapped) within the first year and it was then repaired a year later, suffice to say I got rid of that surgeon.
I then underwent another spinal fusion on C5-6 several years later due to chronic pain and loss of right arm function, This new surgeon I refer to as god (neurosurgeon) I had great success with that operation and he also cleaned up my C6-7 whilst I was open. I was excellent for years until my lower back pain became too bad and had laminectomy L5-S1 (same surgeon) he once again did a fantastic job.
I just went and had MRI on Wednesday morning due to new right arm pain, neck pain and left arm weekness (mri at 1000 am and then ) High speed car aciident at 5 pm (Bugger) put me in hospital and I am still layed up.
Forgetting about where this puts me now with my C4-5 issues, If I can give some advice........
Travel as far as you need to to find the BEST surgeon, do your homeowrk and speak to their previous patients. You really only get one chance and it sounds like you have exhausted most of your other alternatives as I did ie: radio frequency nerve treatment, steroids, cortizone etc.
Pain is a great test to a persons inner strength and character and good people around you is a must along with a positive attitude and a will to make any surgey succeed. They weild the knife and the tools, we must do the required work afterwards.
I wish you the best of luck and can tell you you will get through it and live a great life.
Good luck fella and once again, find the right surgeon regardless of cost 9IMHO Neuro over Ortho) but thats my opinion.

Cheers Barney
thelonegranger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote