View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 12:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizaJane View Post
You guessed it, SL.
.......... it's a place where people are encouraged to be in role, whatever role they want, and however they want. He described it as a real place to play, the kind of play we did as children,.......... at the same time that they are doing this, playing, they are getting to know each other---through play, much as we did as children..............While Second Life is not a game, it IS play.
I don't think I wanna go there, I've enough problems here, not creating other ones.............but if I did go there........I'd wanna be a Pirate, a Privateer sailing the high seas and capturing booty all through the Carib.- and swashbuckling, and wenching, and drinking, and doing all the physical things I'd never really gotten to do when I was younger - & do the things I'd planned to do when I retired - that I'll never get to do now, because PN won't even let me take the dog for a walk without paying for it for the rest of the day.
And I'm a piker compared to others here, because I can still walk and at least try to live a normal life, addicted-no dependant on drugs for the rest of my life.
But living that kind of vicarious comic book character on-line wouldn't be healthy for me, because I'm not Autistic or have Aspergers.
Its nice that JL concocted a place where he could make money off of ("make a living"??) from those sufferers. But he's not gonna make it offa me. I'll go to OBT as a lurker, & maybe participate, but it will be for the people who were kind enough to help me when I needed it so much, and maybe to put in my 2 cents worth to newbies that find it today.
But I now feel more comfortable here.
I hope the Doc John lets this site stay for a long time to come. But we were bitten (some thought, very badly) and might not be as totally ignorant and trusting in our ability to have a 'home'.
Mankind's inherent ability to play the games behind the scenes for personal profit and gain - many times finds the way to rear its ugly head.
I'm surprised that there is even the word 'altruism' in the languages of the world. I'm sure that the concept doesn't even exist in soome cultures, as well as the concept of dishonesty doesn't in others (albeit remote and aboriginal - difficult to find).
Until then, I'll just close the closet door and take my 'blankie & my Binkie' and try to remember that in my private world - ethics, honesty, & reverence are much more prefered. I guess that's not real, either- but its one that I can be comfortable daydreaming in.