View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 08:42 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanb View Post
We'll need to brainstorm and come up with a list of short-term and long-term goals.

Once we have some goals, then list our resources (or lack of) and decide how best we can accomplish our goals. Resources could include such things as:
  • funding (or lack of funding)
  • time (to accomplish tasks)
  • skillsets
  • volunteers
  • critical tasks that we must pay for (?)

In starting a grassroots campaign, there are many things that can be done for little or no cost.
  • Set up a yahoo group (accomplished, Carey)
  • Buy a domain name ($7-15)
  • get a web hosting package for ~$40/year
  • set up a website (once we decide its purpose)
  • Search and compile a list of web resources: blogs, boards, and other places to post
  • Compile a list of names in order to email potential activists or advocates
  • Write articles, letters, board messages, emails
  • Respond ...

Anyway - just some initial thoughts to add to the thread.

Lots to think about. But I firmly believe ... a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens CAN change the world...

Now time for bed!
Great ideas, Jean! You're right -- that is a good list of tasks. However, first I think we have some honing of our message to do. Is our message "Unite now, pool your money, find a cure!" Is it "Involve Parkies at all stages of decisionmaking?" Is it "WE want to decide what the missions of PD orgs should be?" I see many possibilities, all of them noble.

About 13 years ago, I attended an organizer training at which a diverse group of 40 enviro activists were asked to answer these questions individually:
1) What do we want?
2) Who can give it to us?
3) Who are our allies?
4) Who is standing in our way?
5) What do we need to do to get what we want (strategies/objectives)?
That was hard enough for each person to do for his or her work. Then we were asked to put them ALL TOGETHER.

I feel like we in the grassroots PD community need to go through a similar exercise. It feels to me like we need a meeting of about 3 days with a good facilitator to hammer out the answers to those questions. Then I would feel ready to talk about what to put on a website, etc. But this is just how MY brain works -- doesn't mean others agree. I'm just throwing the idea out there.

Jackie
jackiehc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote