View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie8 View Post
While neither of the new PML cases were in Ireland it looks like there is some concern that it is not being properly monitored there. There are still unknowns with these 2 new cases -- maybe more info will come out in the next weeks about other countries in the EU and their protocol.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...41.html?via=mr

Just thought I'd throw this out here.....
I'm sorry Natalie (and others), I really didn’t mean to stir up conversation about this event here, in the “Information and Check-in” thread. I was only meaning to post the link to conversation that had occurred/may still occur.

In response to your point though, we have the same concern in Canada. It’s probably true of many countries with a “universal health care” system, as access to diagnostic testing is limited and prioritized. That might seem like all the more reason to NOT approve the drug in our countries to begin with . . . however, all that REALLY means is that they might not be able to catch (diagnostically) the PML in timely fashion to save people from death. It isn’t going to change the fact that people may get PML (in any of our countries) though.

As Cheryl pointed out in her last posting (on the above thread):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rgirl View Post
... The docs all agreed that the tests currently on the market sometimes gave a false negative and that most of the signs for PML were visual and MRI. Patients should be watched and retested. Due diligence on the part of the doctors and staff was the key.
According to the conference call Biogen held, the neurologists in these two cases were extremely responsive to the patient changes, even though the testing showed a false negative reading. That attention to patient care is probably what saved these people (at least momentarily).

At the end of the day though . . . I guess it’s kinda’ like saying a person can’t be a “little bit pregnant”. By the time they suspect PML in a person, whether diagnostically or through due diligence . . . the person HAS PML already. The only thing they can do is try to mitigate the damage by initiating testing, and then trusting their gut even if the tests show a false negative.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
Natalie8 (08-02-2008)