View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Oh dear, oh dear...

the 'dictates' according to a set of certain professional biases..... Is all I can say. If I didn't know any better, Mayo is jealous of Hopkins cause they got the idea for the skin biopsy first or something. Mayo has a distinct bias against it from all I've read. Go figger.
That your current neuro is open to the skin biopsy...go with him/her! Hopefully this next neuro will be 'educated' enough to back up that opinion.
New fangled things to more established docs? Well, they just don't have room in their memory banks to process.
I was lucky that the current protocols for my CIDP diagnosis no longer require the sural biopsy [which one neuro proposed{I think he just wanted to 'do' one?} and I refused-I was more well-read than he], Mainly the nerve conduction studies which showed rapid and steady deterioration and the spinal fluids analysis, showing definite increased immune responses.
BTW? I'm not dissing Mayo for all it's aspects, I had some of my immune analyses done there as well as from Athena Labs. Both were consistent in their findings that I had something.
Many waste a LOT of effort and energy looking for a 'cause', it's wiser to spend what effort you have looking at this site which is up in the 'stickies':
http://neuromuscular.wustl.edu/alfindex.htm Keep in mind that it will likely turn your brain into peanut butter...but slog on thru it as there just mite be one 'set' of neuro issues w/a name that is tailor made for you.
More important, VERY MORE IMPORTANT is that you get treatment after testing that can help you function better and with less pain. Be it medications, special treatments or physical therapies.
Of course, KNOWING WHAT YOU HAVE, putting a name to it, helps you! Keep in mind tho, that those around you are NOT going to GET IT! They have nothing to relate to this stuff in their lives as a rule. Other than watching TV shows and the like. Soo focus on diagnosis and ultimately treatments that work best for you. They mite not be all that good, but it's the best we have as of now and little seems to be coming down the medical pipeline anytime soon. Wish it were different.
Hope this helps and keep faith that you can be persistent enuf to get the rite diagnosis and treatments! 's - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote