View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Gosh... this is a hard one when you have already spoken with the school on a number of occasions.

I'm wondering if a medic alert bracelet might be in order. I'll google one up in a bit. There are some nice kid friendly choices out there these days. At least they would be more apt to BELIEVE your 5 year old knows more than they do....if she can back it up quickly with a bracelet warning.

Full proof... maybe stickers. I think they have those... that she could wear on her shirt...at least the first week or two of each year...until it gets planted in their brains.

I also rely on my daughter (now 10) to be on her toes. We've had just a couple of oops's in five years. One I have no idea what, but I got a call from the office... she had what seems to be a migraine headache and vomiting..followed by some diarrhea... no other signs of illness, and she's never had a headache like it again. I will never know for sure, but I do suspect that was a glutening.

Then, in science, they broke open 'moon rocks' that they had made... and wheat flour was in them. I only found out after the fact, when the recipe came home so they could make them at home if they wanted.

I think it is impossible to avoid all possible risks. BUT... the school should be trying... and they need to know about their oopses. I put gluten sensitivity on my daughter's health form, which prompted contact by a school nurse, and they sent out a form to all of her teachers (music, gym, you name it) to alert them, list all possible reactions, etc. Each teacher has to sign and keep a file. I don't really expect all these teachers can keep these things straight about all students, but there should be an attempt...especially by the main teacher. Teachers need to be trained to listen to students on such issues. I think everyone in the school seems to know about J and her food limitations now...after 5 years and many teachers. They've even gone out of their way to purchase cf/gf icecream on two occasions for ice cream days, and put fruit on the table for bake sales. This on THEIR OWN. I've been impressed on a number of occasions by the caring of staff. One teacher was giving her money out of her own pocket on a couple of occasions so she could go buy something she COULD have in the teachers lounge. I've had pretty good luck, but I do think we've just been lucky.

I think a big part of the battle plan is to educate our children at even these precious young ages. Praise your daughter for her assertiveness in handling these matters. Teach her to be direct and insistent if necessary, and to ask the teacher to call home or ask to see the principal if a teacher ever tries to dismiss her concern. Let her know that you will always be there to advocate for her (in 5 year old terms).

I'll try to find those bracelets.

I'm drawing a huge form on the specialized plans (IPE?) that can be worked out for students with special healthy or learning needs. It might get 'higher' status attention.

Cara

Last edited by jccgf; 11-02-2006 at 02:50 PM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote