View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 07:34 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Grin Nausea and Meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi49 View Post
Franny,

I don't have RSD but do have spinal disorders/nerve damage. Anyway, prior to any surgeries (fusions) I was on Neurontin and other meds...too many to mention. I could never figure out why I was nauseated ALL the time and was taking Zantac for awhile to combat it. Eventually, all of this drove me to see a Gastro doc who did an upper and lower endoscopy. That was in 2005 and the diagnosis was Gastritis and GERD and as he said...from the meds!

I took Nexium for the past 3 years and just recently was able to stop it...everything has healed up (just had another upper endoscopy done). He also had me try (prior to ending the Nexium) Zeregid and Align. Align is a probiotic which helped a great deal as well. It never hurts to add a probiotic.

Anyway, no more nausea and the meds I take now are Vicodin and Klonopin...very low doses and they don't bother my stomach at all.

But getting back to the nausea. You really want to protect your stomach if the meds are causing it every day. I know you want to go a natural route but Ginger and things of that nature didn't help me much...I was trying natural things too. But evidently my case was a bit more severe with having Gastritis and GERD both.

Okay, more recently my one PM and I have 2, wanted me to try Zofran instead IF the nausea came back (it hasn't yet). Zofran doesn't have the SE's that Phenergan does. She also said Phenergan was too sedating to take every day and it is. But it does work!! Word of warning though...Zofran is terribly expensive. I went ahead and filled the script should I need it. I just haven't had to take any yet. I was told however, that if I went through my insurance (BC/BS) mail order program, it would only cost $10 a month. So that is something I need to keep in mind.

Anyway, should your nausea worsen with time and becomes an every day thing I would definitely see a Gastro doc. I think I put it off too long just thinking it was the meds themselves making me feel nauseated...didn't know I was coming close to having an ulcer or maybe even several. I am just glad I caught it in time before it got too far along. As the other poster said, let your doctor know; perhaps he can put you on something to help protect your stomach should you need it.
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear you have been through so much! I definitely will keep in mind what you have said. I am pretty sure it is the medication because nausea is a very common side effect. I have even checked other websites and other people are having the same problem. I hate to try another medication because I have tried SO MANY! Other than the nausea I don`t have any other serious side effects like I have had with other medications. This began when I started taking this particular medication. I have also read sometimes this side effect may go away with time. The medication is Topamax. (I am not sure if I mentioned that)
Taking a half of a xnax helps and I read you can take that for the nausea but I don`t want to be tired or sleep all the time. My dogs are getting as lazy as I am! (they follow me into the bathroom!) Plus I hate taking anymore medications if I don`t have to. With over the counter pills , and the prescriptions, I have to take 17 pills a day. They`re sometimes hard to get down. I take more pills than my 88 year old Mother! Anyway, I REALLY appreciate you taking the time for answering my question and giving me such good and important information. I will definitely inform my doctor if it continues.
Franny is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote