View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 09:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
A couple of years ago I downloaded just about every song I ever loved. Can't remember the website, but I paid about 50 cents each for them, so it was legit.
50 cents? Unless it was a subscription based service, most likely not so legit. There are RUSSIAN sites ALL over the internet now. They are not technically illegal only because of the way the LAW is written. Right now they're untouchable but at some point this will change -- just not soon enough. But what happens with these sites is that none of the creators (or companies) get paid. The owners of the site keeps all the money. Funds go into THEIR economy and the biggest point is that they pay NO ONE. Essentially, they're ripping everyone off except the buyer and making you an unknowing participant in this activity. That said, there are also virus and spyware concerns. If you come across an unfamiliar site that offers downloads, look at the site very carefully. There is usually a clue -- and sometimes it's in the form of absence of information.

Best way to download if you're in the U.S. is from a legitimate American site. iTunes is worldwide so that's always a safe bet wherever you are.
Bearygood is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote