View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 11:49 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default This is hard!

Dear Dr. J and other readers,

My son has suffered from epilepsy since he was 8. He has gone off of meds twice, but would eventually have another seizure that required him to be put back on. He is currently 16 and of course, driving. He started having seizures again in the fall.....we put him back on meds and he has been seizure free until last week. He has been great taking his "pills" because he is scared to death to have a seizure. Luckily, they only happen at night so far.

I have been scouring the internet for some other alternative to medicines and have totally decided that all I have read about going without the big "4", gluten, dairy, soy and corn is probably the answer. We have been doing the diet for 2 days, but it is soooooooooooo hard to find stuff that my son likes.
Thank God for the potato! I'm so worried he's not getting enough protein.

Oh, and let me tell you, I am convinced that these seizures started back this summer because I have been pumping him full of fluids (ya know, I wanted to make sure that dehydration wasn't the cause of another seizure). Guess what fluids I've been giving him? .........1/2 strength CRYSTAL LIGHT, ya know the artificial sweetener poison stuff ?! UGH!!!

He is a great athlete...he's #3 in the state for cross country running and he's an all-state lacrosse player. I can't keep him still!

Could someone help me as to what to feed a teenage boy that basically ate just milk products and bread products?

I have been looking for recipes and we've gotten through 2 days so far. My husband and I are also doing the diet. I'm so worried I can't keep him nourished enough or full enough.

Sorry for ranting......Does anyone out there have some good choices of foods to eat....I know all the veggies and fruit. I've been giving him smoothies and we've used gluten free, casein free bread for toast.

Talk to you soon. I can't wait to keep in touch and give everyone the good news!
Tamarama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote