View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 04:12 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hello kitt00!

My Dad has PPS. Like your husband, he had Polio when he was 2 y/o (in '31). Had surgery in the '70s to straighten his toes, and has always had one leg shorter than the other. That adversely affected his spine, and has always walked with a limp, which is quite pronounced now.

His PPS was dx'ed (diagnosed) maybe 20 years ago, and not much has been learned about the "Syndrome" since then. Dad has gotten progressively weaker over the years, helped along by emphysema, and now prostate cancer.

From what little I understand about PPS, it isn't that the Polio comes back...it is that the body (that may have seemed fine for years ~ heck, Dad used to march in the Crimson Tide Marching Band! ) is older now and unable to compensate for the damage done by the Polio. So it appears that the disease is starting up again. This only my understanding; please don't take it as fact!

Wish I could answer your questions. Dad was living in the Dallas area when dx'ed, and now we are in Mississippi where health care is a bit of a (not-so-funny) joke. Perhaps you could contact the Mellen Center in Cleveland. They specialize in Multiple Sclerosis (my disease), but where there's MS, there's neurologists, and EMGs....hey, maybe ask about EMGs on the Multiple Sclerosis forum! Its a fairly common test done on PwMS (People with MS).

Good luck!

Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not yet the end.
Sparky10 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote