View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 08:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Post Concussion Syndrome -- thoughts on alternative therapy

Hi --

I am suffering with PCS after taking a fall and banging my head on the ice last December (8.5 months ago). It has been, at times, debilating and I am beginning to feel like this may never go away. I had a couple of CT scans and an MRI which have been negative. I have seen a chiropractor, a cranialsacral therapist and physical therapist, and nothing seems to help. I live in Boston and went to the head trauma center at MGH, and they basically told me the only recourse for PCS is to wait it out.

I wake every day with a head-throbbing (from the point of impact -- back of my head), stiffness in my shoulders and back, and nausea. On a good day the nausea goes away after a few hours, and on bad days it is coupled with an overall fogginess that with me all day. And, to add insult to injury, I am no longer able to tolerate the smell of coffee, even if it's just someone carrying a cup into the room.

At the six month mark, I had a brief respite of feeling much, much better. For about four weeks, I felt like I got my life back. I started to work out a little, and the neurologist put me in physical trherapy to get some strength in my upper back and electrical stim for my tight neck. After a couple of weeks (and yes, probably overdoing it with projects at home after six months on hold....) the symptoms returned, with even greater intensity. Today I felt so miserable (could barely hold up my head, throbbing "heavy" head and nausea) I went into the ER. They did another CT scan, and a spinal tap to check pressue on the brain and to rule out other conditions. Both were negative.

So, a couple of questions for this group....Does anyone see any (even mild) activities that contribute to a relapse? Also, has anyone tried alternative therapies (accupuncture. osteopathic doctors) with any success? I am currently not on any meds execpt Ibuproben.

I have tried to have a good attitude about this so far, but I will admit that I am starting to panic that this is going to be my life. I don't go out at night, have not worked out in months (even riding a bike seems daunting) don't drink and basically live pretty simply. I have two young children and it is all I can do to keep the home fires burning. My spouse is wonderful and jumps in 200% if I am having a rough day. I'm just hoping for a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for your feedback.
goodscout is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote