View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 09:42 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

I like these ideas Jackie. Rating the orgs isn't something I feel qualified to do, but somehow publishing the actual results that have made it to the patients, perhaps on a timeline to show the rate of progress, could be considered. Just the facts, no judgement.

To the orgs reading these comments, I would strongly keep in mind that this comes, not from the smiling faces you see with all the energy and good will pwps can muster up at conferences, but from the people sitting at home, many alone, who can't make it off the chair right now without crawling or suffering pain. These comments are coming from people who can barely type, whose shoulders are locked, whose mouths are caved in, who can't eat and have to worry about providing themselves with proper nutrition when they don't want to walk to the kitchen. From those who are lonely, who have nightmares, and then read about medical researchers paid to get industry off the hook when they make mistakes. From those who can't afford their meds. And sometimes we do wonder who the orgs really serve. Just as we wonder who anyone, with large amounts of money, really serve when we are not seeing results.

I see the suggestions leaning toward looking at what orgs have done to diectly benefit patients. This can be a positive thing, but even the smell of patronizing [oops wrong word we have no smell] - let's say even a hint - will be detected by the more advanced pwps. We make every attempt not to look desperate - but nevertheless - the needs are numerous and BS detectors are fine tuned. Throw in paranoia and control freaks and it becomes apparent why this thread is overdue and should be productive - if there are no me's, just we's.

paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiehc View Post
This is just a "brainstorm" so help me think it through. NPF has its TULIPS program, which provides training for and then recognizes facilities (I think it's limited to nursing homes/long-term care facilities) that are supposed to know how to treat Parkies.

What if we were to come up with two lists of criteria (one for research, one for care) that showed commitment to involving patients or serving the needs of patients, as determined by patients. Sort of like a "union label" (remember the commercials? Look for the union label!)

Assuming that we could put those criteria together, it has carrot-and-stick potential. If anyone qualified, we could give them a certificate and do a press conference. If we were so inclined, we could have a media field day by sharing a list or report card of which orgs/projects DIDN"T qualify (that is always tricky and not a good first move).

We could launch this effort in April for PD Awareness Month. (In my opinion, that month shouldn't be devoted solely to telling people is, but about what people with PD want and need).

I just woke up an hour ago so these suggestions aren't being filtered all that well, but I wanted to throw them out there before i lost them!

Off to Atlanta tonight for YOPN (we're going a couple of days early) Hope to see many of you there and continue these conversations.

JHC

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote