View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 07:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Greetings-I've been reading this thread with interest

Good evening! I've scanned through page after page of input into the question that's been posed; I'd like to offer a somewhat divergent approach to thinking about organizations. "What's wrong with the PD community?" might be answered with something like "Why, nothing is 'wrong' here." By that, I mean that the various and sundry organizations and groups seem to be behaving in a predictable, bureaucratic, manner, and keeping their courses as might have been predicted. There are series of issues that every group, organization, or private business has to deal with if it is to survive. One of these is Weber's "Institutionalization of charisma"--how does the organization formalize and carry on the founders' vision(s)? Another is "succession"--how is the governance arranged to perpetuate leadership in general/the leadership of one or more individuals? Yet another is that of independence vs. the spectrum of alliance/merger/subordination to others? Now, I don't know where any particular PD organization stands on any of these, but these are a few of the key issues I would "tag" as being in the "hidden agendas" of any organization(s) contemplating change, and they'd have to be addressed/solved early in any process, if the process is to be successful. That they're "hidden" makes identifying and dealing with them even more difficult from "outside" the particular organization.

I'll stop at that and hope that I'm not way off-target with a few observations...
Stan
Splanton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote