View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 12:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Book

wow, guys thanks for the responses - marvelous to hear all your thoughts.

In terms of scaring off new investors - most drug company budget allocations for R and D are miniscule compared to let's say marketing and advertising, and most of the groundbreaking work comes from situations that are paid for by the taxpayers anyway. Plus, they haven't come up with any thing really curative, shall we say, in 40 years. Did a nice job with the HIV-AIDS thing - not curing but at least making life possible and bearable. Most of the 'new drug development' is let's move one molecule in Claritin before its patent runs out so we can repatent it and call it Pristique or whatever. This, after raising the price of Claritin 13 times in four years?????????

My doctor did tell me as she prescribed Mirapex to me in 1999, "this one has some psych effects. You're going to be up at night cleaning closets...." So it seems they knew something. What I didn't know is that my entire personality would change from a responsible person who paid my way and balanced my checkbook to someone who completely lost control of her own and her family's finances, lost at least tens of thousands of dollars thru impulse spending, took on some very inappropriate behaviors that put me at great risk, and many other things that have subsided now that I am finally off that stuff. And they say up to one-third of patients experience some of these symptoms...

What slays me -amongst other aspects - is how business is usually all unhappy about 'government intervention' but then takes tax money to develop their products that they then want to control the prices and have exclusive deals for, and then turn around and say "Well it was the Feds who should have made us divulge what we already knew was a major problem with our product even before marketing it...."

This is hardly responsible behavior.
Fiona is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote