View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 12:14 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb I think..........

alot depends on your age, and experience.

It is easy to get discouraged/depressed. I have been there and done that.

When my foot PN was at its worst I was hypothyroid, but my tests did not
show it clearly. That was over 25 yrs ago before my son was born. Then after him, I was so tired, but busy with the new baby. My carpal tunnel resolved after the pregnancy, but my feet did not. In time I finally got the thyroid fixed, and my feet really woke up and the walking on cut glass went away.

For me PN has been a changing thing. It has been mixed in with arthritis and
MP (a side effect from my C-section), then it was overwhelmed by my right knee issues (for several years), then my leg injury.

Each time I pass thru a transition, I have been lucky that my pain has
ebbed and that experience has always given me HOPE. When I started supplements, EFAs and Thiamine years ago, I had another remission.
So I see waxing and waning in my own experience, and I think that keeps me going. I never have felt truly stuck...with no hope of improvement. This may take a while, years, in some cases, but I have always rallied. When I have a bad day/week, or month, I just hang in there and expect it to fade. Many new patients with PN get discouraged or trapped by this syndromes elusive character, or wish for the magic pill/potion to make it go away. And that just does not happen, for most people.

It can take a LONG time to develop PN. So one must understand that one must try many things, before targeting their own situation. It can take a while to get better. Or it may take a while to find the most effective pain treatment that works for you. This is more of a commitment than with blood pressure control, or antibiotics, or several other disorders. PN makes us have to cope and deal, and be more involved I think.

It is this aspect that keeps me going!
P.S. I expected to be off next week... duh? But I just got more shifts, and since this place was so good to me when I was disabled, and let me work, with adjustments, I haven't the nerve to decline! But that means I will be sleeping, and resting much more than usual. No more 13 hr shifts for me, standing anymore however. That is definitely off the table!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote