View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 06:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Carolyn, I have good news for you!

Hi, Carolyn,

First of all, I am new, and If I've done something incorrect, please let me know. I don't' wish to offend anyone. (I hit "Reply" and in the box was someone else's note to you and I didn't know how to find another.)

I'm sorry for your problems and can totally comisserate with you. I will try to tell you quickly (leave out some things) to tell you I had my first cervical fusion in 1976 I was 42. The level was C4-5 and like the lumbar area, one that is apt to cause a problem. I have EDS (Im hyperelastic) and the Univ. Dr. decided to treat me conservatively--altho there were others who felt more than one level should be done. I had to wear a brace 24/7 (metal) --wore a leaf bag over it to wash my hair in a shower. Quite an experience--for 4 mos! It was removed and within 6 mos. I was aware I wasn't much better and at the 9 mos mark I was miserable. At the 1 yr mark the same U. surgeon did the one above it. Same story. The after the 2nd one, 9 mos later I was back to see him and scheduled at the 1 yr mark for the next. UNFORTUNATELY the ,man didn't count right and 9 mos later I was back, wondering what was wrong. He was sending me to his friend in MOntreal with all my records when we noticed he MISSED that disc space, so cancelled the trip and went back, and he redid it. (I wanted to go somwhere else, but some thought I should go to him as he used a lock-type curved bone to fuse. It was not nice to go, but I did. Alas, after about 9 mos I was aware I was not better AGAIN and NOW we went to a Toronto surgeon who told me I had a "non-union" and it needed to be redone! So I 'girded my loins; and did it AGAIN! i was STILL having problems in the next year and went back to my home town where I met a Canadian born ortho. and an excellent neurosurgeon who "stuck their necks out" and did a controversial surgery----attaching my last one (C-7 ) to T-1 --the 1st thoracic vertebrae and put me in a halo brace--not the nicest thing, but i was determined to get better. At the 4 mo mark they put me in a Rheum. Arthritis prototype brace (called it my "ironing board" for 8 mos and after I was in p. therapy close to 1 year. NOW the story gets really GOOD. Once the therapist gave me tools to get thru the day, help me to relax, when to stretch, and when to do strengthening PT (he only believed in isotonic PT----things done with tubes or Therabands.) I am PLEASED to tell you I went TWENTY YEARS with not ONE ache in my neck or arms. ( Used do have arms turn white as blood supply and nerves pinched under armpit.) I was ecstatic! Now , I have had many lumbar problems but MY CERVICAL PROBLEMS WERE GONE. I am now 74 and need a lumbar one redone and my sacrolilac joints fused. I'm up to 14 surgeries--but it has only been in the past year that my neck bothers me on occasion. What I do is use a Thermophore heating pad (made in Battle Creek, MI) which takes moisture from the air---and it works! I lay down for 20 mins 3 times a day if a problem and he next day I"m fine. I also use a new cervical pillow made with Tempurpedic -like material but the size of a reg. pillow that has a "nest" where the head is cradled and I"m so pleased I can't tell you how much. I've had it 2 mos and it has cut down my discomfort by about 80%. I 've been told that 2 of my fusions have thinned---and there may come a day where they'll need to be done---but it will not bother me, I"m sure. Plastic braces are used now (thank heaven) or just collars. I know it won't be a difficult thing like my last surgery and recovery--so I really feel I am a true "success story." I want you to know that one can't ensure a total success,but there is the possibility of a total success that I had. I thought I'd let you know so that you know it can happen. NOW, it is up to you to try for that goal. If you wish to know anything, remember who I am, okay? I don't know how much more I can tell you, but I'm willing to write you again. Good luck!
Cheers!
Jetty
Jetty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote