View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 12:47 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb what can be done with no funding

Six months ago, two people started the promotion of the PD Tulip design with the dream for it to become the symbol of PD awareness in the U.S. An email and letter-writing campaign, a website, and a grant to purchase pins started the effort. Now this tulip is being worn as lapel pins by thousands of PWP. And it is being used for PD awareness by diverse PD groups across the nation on websites and promotional materials. (including this message board - thank you, NeuroTalk!) In addition to this, people from all over the world have downloaded the PD Tulip graphics.

Two people started the PD Stamp grassroots effort to have the PD Tulip made into a stamp for Parkinson’s disease. With the initial purchase of a domain name, a website was created. And thanks to donated programming work, an on-line petition is active, and nearly 3000 people have signed in support. Along the way, this effort got the attention of two major PD orgs. After some private talks, one of the orgs decided to help with the project (and they have been a big help -- with no funding asked for or received.)

Anyone can create a YOUTUBE video, and then upload it for all to see.

Anyone can do web searches to find boards and blogs and sites for promoting awareness.

Anyone can mount an email or letter writing campaign.

Anyone can create a simple website.

With the time and efforts of a few individuals, much can be accomplished with little or no funding in our efforts "to change the world."

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dbiker2 (08-06-2008)