View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 05:05 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelb View Post
No, I've never had any gout before. They can't give me the standard treatment during this bout of it because of my kidneys (I can't take most anti-inflammatory meds). They mentioned the Colchosine but I'm not sure I want to go there. I'm hoping that it was just caused by the cold and the fact that I had chicken liver (rumaki) several times last week. I've been investigating natural treatments for it and will be pursuing those before I take any meds for it. I read that bromelain is good and cherry juice is good and I've been taking those. Today I could actually walk fairly well, though I still couldn't do as much as I'd like, but it's a lot better than the weekend when I resorted to crawling because it hurt to much to walk. (Our kitties thought that was *very* funny.)

I'm sorry you have it, Al. It is really miserable. I'm glad GF helps with that. That also gives me hope that I shouldn't have too much trouble with it.

Rachel
Yup - chicken livers would do it alright Being sick wouldn't help matters either. I used to drink cherry juice by the bottles - it never really seemed to help me. I hope it works for you. Since your kidney function is decreased you probably can't drink large amounts of water, can you? I seem to remember eating pharmaceutical grade charcoal was to help too.

I'm sure you've seen all this...
http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_gout.htm
http://www.henriettesherbal.com/arch...95/gout-1.html

Colchosine does have some interesting side effects [ie dashes to the bathroom].

I hear ya on the crawling - been there, done that many times!! LOL. I'd almost resolved myself to using crutches once. I would usually get my attacks in the summer, usually at a critical point of volleyball season [our favorite tournament ] and I'd have to sit out. One year, through out the day, I calculated that I drank several gallons of water [7 I think]. By the end of the day, I could walk w/o severe pain to the bathroom [a trip I made many many times ].

Take care - hope it passes quickly!!

Oh - never, never, never put ice on it. It only makes it worse - trust me. You want heat - moist heat.

“We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love.” ~Mother Teresa
aklap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote