View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 10:09 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well I don't know how short this is going to be but I'll try to give you the condensed version of my story.

One morning back in 12/02 I woke up with symptoms of a heart attack that slowly moved down my leg making it stroke like. A trip to the local ER revealed nothing. They kicked me out telling me I simply hyperventilated (baloney!) and sent me home with instructions.

A little over four years, two neuros (one from John Hopkins), two rhematologists, two general docs, and too many tests to remember (everything under the sun), I got my answer from Enterolab. My current rheumy's teen-aged daughter is celiac and a brother-in-law of his was diagnosed later in life. Personal experience made him keep looking at celiacs even though his tests said no.

I've read it takes an average of 11 or 13 (forget which) years for a celiac to be diagnosed. I had irritable bowel syndrome for several years before the neuro stuff hit. I don't really remember when the IBS started but would say I'm right in line with the average.

I have been gluten free for almost a year and a half now. Yes the diet is a pain but the alternatives are not worth it to me.

Wrapping my head around such a restrictive diet was very hard at first. Thankfully there is a local celiac support group and they have been a great help to me. This forum is also chock full of good stuff. The info in the stickied posts really helped me. I'm also lucky enough to live where finding gluten free foods is easy. Of coarse those foods are four times what I am used to paying and finding something that tastes good can be a challenge. GF foods can be a bit dry and or crumbly. Some companies are better than others. So far I have learned to avoid one company and trust several. Gluten is the number two most added ingredient. I'm still shocked at all the places it hides.

Dining out can be a challenge. I have learned to look up the website of chain restaurants as they usually have suggestions there for celiac diners. Eat and Park restaurant has a list on the back of their menu of safe meals. Always tell your server about your GF needs. Be prepared to give them a quick education. Some servers are knowledgeable and some have absolutely no clue. I've run into both.

Well I've blabbed on long enough. If there is a support group in your area they should be able to help you find good shops, foods, restaurants. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

12/02- health world implodes, 11/05- Raynaud's (Brr!), 2/07- celiac, 3/07- gluten free diet

I will survive.
JustWeave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mistiis (10-27-2008)