Thread: Keggy
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 08:02 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for asking... its been a weird thing for me because it really hit home. She has not been caring for herself and has somewhat distanced her self from her disease. Because of this she may have made some critical errors in her care. She is letting the doctors handle it.

I understand this is natural, because when you are dealing with an illness like this it is hard to become informed (since you are so overwhlemed) but thats why you need too depend on family and friends to help you.

Her family acts like nothing is going on.... , expected to work, clean, shop and cook like any other day. She says out of everyone I am the most supportive... but still. Like when she went for her Chemo and I explained that these drugs would cause her too loose all of her hair (every hair on her body) she freaked out and yelled and carried on, this was while the drug was already injected in her.... she needed to know so she could get a wig if wanted (and yes she would want that) The nurse came and explained to her that it was true.. some people think that its hit or miss, but its not. Some drugs will cause you too loose all your hair.

Anywhow... she had her second chemo yesterday. I haven't spoken to her in several days, she is bad at returning calls. i worry about her because her family is not being suportive and not letting her rest. She had to throw a party for her daughter last week plus drive her to the mall to "hang" which made it more difficult for her to pick up a wig. But she didn't mind asking me to stand outside in a nasty storm (to help her get her wig and so her daugher wouldn't be late to hang out at the mall)... so its been tense and difficult.

Because the stats on breast cancer are so high I feel I need to be well informed on the subject, as a therapist, a friend, and a person at risk so I read what I can. It totally sucks.
Keggy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote