View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 06:59 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

I think a service dog is exactly what you need!!!
I had a wonderful dog, mostly self trained and then certified by an organization, for 15 years. I now have one I received as a puppy for self training (which wasn't planned as I am less able than the first time, though more knowledgeable.) He's almost 2 years old, so still has quite a bit of puppy in him and I worry he won't come through for me in stressful times...but so far he's been there!
I was injured 21 years ago, and have a lesion and all the symptoms of MS. I live with chronic myofascial pain. He picks things up off the floor for me, he helps pull the sheets and covers off the bed and drags them to the laundry room... oh I can go on and on...and he's a great companion and always there when the pain ovewhelms me and I lie crying... such a comfort. He helps me get up off the floor when I've had to rescue his playtoy from under the bed...
Yes, get on all the lists you can for a service dog! You can always say no if more than one finds a dog for you at once. (I was on Paws with a Cause list for 4 years (as my other dog was aged) and never did get a dog from them. I think the ratio was 1 in 10,000 disabled people receive a dog (of who want and need one.) Which is why I took a puppy and raised and trained him myself. Fortunately he's smart as a whip and learns quickly. I think he reads the books while I'm out.
suzyqz_2007 (10-06-2008)