View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Arrow hello from the wild north woods...eagles etc

I am here at the laundromat charging up and the wifi is working....by some miracle!

I have an eagle story for you all, since our eagle threads were so popular.

There is at least one juvenile out of the nest here, which I have been watching. He sits on rocks and waits for Mom or Dad to
come feed him. But I did see him carrying a snake the other day, so he is trying to hunt.

On the other hand, I did witness an adult eagle killing a Mom duck/merganser early one morning. She shooed the babies ahead and was dive bombed for about 10 minutes...squawking and diving, and apparently lost that battle. I didn't see her "go" but we did see the orphans.
So I have a picture of them, here.

There are six of them in this shot. I watched them try to find a new Mom...it was pretty sad. Merganser's are not ducks, but look like them. So these babies tried to join other families. Mergansers combine groups, so I thought they'd be okay. But alas, we watched the little guys get pecked away, and they ran cheeping from several attempts. Then they got broken up into 4 and 2 ---the group of four finally found a Mom, we saw a duck with two small babies and 4 slightly larger ones, go by yesterday. But the two little ones left over have disappeared and I fear were eaten.

But that is how Nature is I guess. We have never seen eagles hunting as much as this season, either.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 09-29-2008 at 06:07 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (08-07-2008), Chemar (08-07-2008), Curious (08-07-2008), Doody (08-07-2008), Twinkletoes (08-14-2008)