View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 08:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Consensus

I have a practical streak a mile wide......and I hope (just my two-cents view) that we can find a place to keep this database that is not under any one individual's control. Not under a previously established website, not on someone's server at work, not subject to the squabbles and fiefdoms that just seem to happen when everyone's meds wear off at the same time. It could happen that the database could be hoarded during someone's "i quit" phase or squandered on someone's "training" and "oops"ing, or even nonexistent due to someone's embarassment at not really knowing how to set it up. These are just some possibilities I thought up from moments of trepidation in the past when I was more afraid of more things than I am now, but maybe we could be just a teeny bit afraid of them. [Edited to add: I have clearly stated that these are my fears. I have only had ten years to be involved in the Parkinson's community; prior to that I had many other volunteer experiences and witnessed many amazing interactions. I have also watched an entire virtual community disappear out from under me. I thought caution was in order.]

I hope I'm not seeing a rush to get down to too many details before we're ready, although it does seem like time to get on with it. When the group in Atlanta returns seems like a good time to me. I think we need to acclaim some leaders, to avoid duplication of effort and working at cross-purposes as much as possible.

Oh I forgot to say that the idea of an all-patient database, which Tom brought out in his remarks, seems to have won by acclamation. Is that the "sense of the meeting"? (Quaker expression)

New idea
Quakers make their business decisions on the basis of consensus. A Meeting for Business goes on until everyone agrees on any action to be taken. This can take forever. But maybe some of you more astute (or trained in the law) folks can help figure out how we could approach that model, while still having someone(s) in harness at the front of the team, or sitting at the top o some heap of responsibility.

"From those to whom much has been given, much will be expected." - someplace in the Bible.

Jaye

Last edited by Jaye; 08-08-2008 at 05:38 AM.
Jaye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote