View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 10:14 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default doomed to fail if we don't trust each other

[QUOTE=Jaye;341496]I have a practical streak a mile wide......and I hope (just my two-cents view) that we can find a place to keep this database that is not under any one individual's control. Not under a previously established website, not on someone's server at work, not subject to the squabbles and fiefdoms that just seem to happen when everyone's meds wear off at the same time. It could happen that the database could be hoarded during someone's "i quit" phase or squandered on someone's "training" and "oops"ing, or even nonexistent due to someone's embarassment at not really knowing how to set it up.

Jaye, I understand your fears, but I just would like to point out that my husband created, supported, and continues to host the PPP treatment database FREE OF CHARGE for the last two years as his ongoing gift to the Parkinson's patient community, this even though I am no longer an official member of the PPP.

We have to be realistic about any database that is created. If we have someone who makes their living designing databases and is willing to donate their time and expertise, why on earth wouldn't we want them to do it? A committee can be in charge of deciding what goes into the database, but obviously only a couple of people can be responsible for making changes, additions, and deletions. The integrity of the database demands limited access. Does this mean the two administrators "control" the database in some pejorative way... I don't think so.

If the patients committing their time and effort to this initiative can't trust each other, we're doomed to fail before we begin. Our futures are entwined... we seek or swim as one and the sooner we recognize this the better.

sheryl
SherylJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote