View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 12:37 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Talking

I've been "green" for many years... and it began in Girl Scouting! (Think Green)

Limiting chemicals in my home is key...and yes! vinegar does wonders of all types of great cleaning. I can't handle the odor well for my lungs, but diluted with good ventillation works fine.

(Vinegar and baking soda make a great chemical reaction that cleans even the dingiest tile grout, for instance.)

I think my latest move back to green is away from paper towels. I've been able to accumulate quite a few rags, cut up from old towels, tee shirts etc, and I now grab one of them to wipe up spills and wipe down counters and such. I keep a plastic bucket to toss them into until I add them to a wash load.

I use epsom salt for baths now too. A great, healing soak without the additives.

I quit using bottled water altogether. Well, I have to have some on hand as it's hurricane season, but I bought it in gallons. When I realized that drinking from those smaller bottles causes lip lines (LOL) and the hassle of recyling and all that... I decided I just didn't need them.

I went to my power company's website and did their free energy evaluation. And while there, I checked to see what times of day electricity costs the most. While it changes for the summer, generally, for here it's between the hours of 6-10 am and pm. I try not to wash clothes, run the dishwasher, take hot shower/bath, or have the a/c on the coldest during those times.

Anyone else?
ewizabeth (08-08-2008)