View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I agree with Sally on not doing anything until you talk to your doc. My doc was very much involved in my choice to stop Celexa, and in helping me withdraw from it.

In all honesty, I can't remember all the withdrawal effects, but I know it was hard for me. I basically followed my doctors instructions, but if I remember correctly, I tried to go even slower then he suggested (just because I know I am so sensitive). I don't even think I got 1/2 way down, over several weeks, before I thought I was losing my mind. That's about all I remember . . . a majorly messed up head (which explains why I can't remember ).

That was my second attempt, as I had tried several months earlier and had the same problem. My doc ended up putting me on Wellbutrin, and I was supposed to ramp up on that while I withdrew from Celexa. That didn't seem to make much sense to me though . . . so I just went on the lowest level of Wellbutrin that he started me on, and continued on the lowest level I had gotten myself to with Celexa.

As I weaned off the Celexa (over about three weeks), I also did the Wellbutrin (I think alternating days, or something to that effect). When I finally got off, everything (in my head) was good again.

I know some people have considerable difficulty (maybe even danger) with weaning on some drugs, especially AD's. Not something to play around with, without your doctors involvement!!

I don't even think I needed the Celexa for PMS after that, and it had been a lifelong problem for me. I may have used it a couple of times, for a few days, but my hormones had balanced out a lot by then.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (08-08-2008), Twinkletoes (08-08-2008)