Thread: "flare?"
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 05:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thank you all. News

I saw Dr Latov today, and many small things that have been niggling at me were explained to me. I no longer have a length-dependent axonal neuropathy. I have cerebellar involvement of some sort (I can't bear the word degeneration), as well as ganglionic involvement. I forgot how he decided the latter; something about the distribution of the neuropathy, which is now spotty, left worse than right.

The cerebellar findings were because I am clumsy in doing tests of the cerebellum, fall with the Romberg, and can't dor rapid movements with my fingers, hands or feet (tapping).

He tried to give a positive spin: since it's waxed and waned over time, and not just continually deteriorated, it's probably autoimmune, which implies IVIG might help. He just doesn't think Oxford will approve it, unless I'm in a hospital.

He's called Athena and they're to send a nurse to draw bloods for specialized tests for this--dna tests; and ordered a general panel of immune tests which I haven't had for a few years.

On the sinus front: I've been feeling somewhat better, but then it was clear I was absorbing the nasal steroid, and my adrenals shut off, so I'm off them now and waiting for my adrenals to return.

On the back front: I had a week respite from pain with the steroid fiasco. (That was a calculated risk; my doctor gave me the nasal steroid, but had me get my adrenals tested within one week.)

Things that cause cerebellar and peripheral and nerve cell issues: vitamin deficiencies, food allergies, mercury, and, I can't remember others.

That's the update: discouraging.

--- LYME neuropathy diagnosed in 2009; considered "idiopathic" neuropathy 1996 - 2009
---s/p laminectomy and fusion L3/4/5 Feb 2006 for a synovial spinal cyst
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote