Thread: Keggy
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 03:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Breast cancer is very survivable, but depends on lots of factors, I think anyway. Like how early its caught, how aggressive it is and what therapy and action you take against it. In NZ our govt refuse to fund herceptin, so if you have to get cancer anywhere in the world, its not wise to get it in NZ as our medical system, being a public one, dictates what care you receive.

I wonder why her family are so non supportive. Espcially the teen daughter! I wonder if it will hit home if (God forbid) they lose her and there is no one to drive her to the mall to 'hang'.

Do you guys have a cancer society over there. Here it is very active, but depends on the ill person, (or their family) to make first contact as they dont just barge in. But they organise meals, and help with housework and are a listening ear and do lots of other things like drive people to appointments etc.

Cancer does suck! 25% of NZer's die prematurely thanks to cancer. Our experts tell us that much of this (and type 2 diabetes and heart diesease) is lifestyle related.

I think lung cancer is pretty hard to beat, and a lot of lung cancers are traced back to smoking or second hand smoke. NZ just passed laws recently about banning smoking in closed public areas. Like bars, restaurants etc. Its illegal now. So at 10 am and 3 pm workers can be spotted out the back of offices and in allyways as they nip outside for their smoke. No such thing as a smokey bar, pub or restaurant anymore. Ireland have done the same I think.

Ok ramble over - good on you Keggy for being their for a friend. Hard not to judge her family. But ya know they may be in denial too.
SuperMama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote