View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Alan's Pn Is Not From His Back!!!!!

Hi all:
We just came back from Dr. Elowitz, who works out of Beth Israel. A very nice man. He is a neurosurgeon.
I brought all of Alan’s mri reports and all his films.

When we go to Alan's appointments, Alan prefers that I start doing the talking so I asked the doctor if this was okay and he said fine.

He listened to me describe Alan’s symptoms over the years, about how he can’t lie down at night but when I massage him, and he takes a xanax, that’s the only way he can sleep.

He listened to Alan explain that when he sits, “his feet do a dance”.

I also explained how his chiropractic/neurologist literally saved his sanity and got him off the fentanyl pain patch by his adjustments. I explained all of Alan has gone through and why were there, that we thought from the mri reports, that Alan’s PN is attributed to his back. Well, this is not the case.

The guy said “Alan’s PN has nothing to do with his back. There are no pinched nerves causing this. I have looked at the films, and read the reports and listened to his symptoms.

So I said “what we need is Gregory House from the show HOUSE!!!

The guy started laughing and and said “absolutely”.

I then said “so there will be no laminectomy, no endoscopic dischetomy, no nothing because Alan’s PN is not related to his back in any way shape or form, right?

He said “right. “ He then said “also there other symptoms we look at relating to the back. Alan has no back pain, he has no clumsy gait, he walks just fine.

“This has to do with the nerves in his feet. That’s why I’m sending you to a neurologist who specializes in Peripheral Neuropathy”. His name is Dr. Scelsa (who also works out of Beth Israel).

I then said “but we went to a neurologist in Coney Island Hospital and he did nothing”

The doctor replied : “There are neurologists for this and there are neurologists for that, this guy is a neurologist whose speciality is Peripheral Neuropathy. As a matter of fact, I sent my father to him”. I said “so what happened to your father?” and he went: “well, My dad was lucky, it cleared up on its own”

He said to me, Alan’s last emg was 3 years ago, he will probably order Alan a new EMG and a lot of new stuff is coming up on PN.

So when we came home, we immediately called this new guy who also works out of Beth Israel. His name is Dr. Scelsa, who also works out of Beth Israel.

The soonest appointment was for November 29th. So we made it.

Five minutes later, the secretary calls me and says “Oh wow, I don’t believe it, we have a cancellation for this money, the 6th, at 1 p.m., do you want it?”

I said “with bells on”. So now we’ll go on Monday.

So my question to any of you is this. “What can we expect to happen on Monday? And have any of you gone to a neuro who specializes in PN, and what happened. Those with idiopathic PN, I mean.

Thanks guys.

Melody
MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote