View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Default I did it

after a back fx a long time ago, and fibro type pain with lots of spastic stuff, the pain clinic transitioned me onto MS Contin (morphine sulfate continual action) I was taking about 90mgs three times a day. it was blessed relief for a looooong time.

Finding out I had MS and learning about spastic stuff, vs pain from old fx stuff I chose to stop taking the MS contin. I cut back on ONE pill at a time. I had the pharmacy adjust my script to lower dose pills so I could break up the dose. so, instead of 3 pills a day, it was 9. I cut out the afternoon ones first. one at a time. This week was 2 in the afternoon, next week was 1 in the afternoon and then 0 in the afternoon. I cut back ONE pill at night for one week, and one pill in AM for one week and rocked tilled I got to ONE pill in AM, and ONE pill in PM. I was exhausted and chose to rest at that level for a bit.

My pain load increased, as I had been on that med for years. My brain was upset that it didnt have the drug. I had diarrhea, and leg cramps. stomach cramps as well, but used a heating pad, and spastic meds to help. After getting my body to rest at that level for 3 full months, I started on my last two. I would take NO pill in the am on monday, and then for the rest of the week, take them on schedule. Next week was none on monday, and none on friday. kept that schedule for one week. then none on MWF. kept that for one week. I didnt touch the night pills because they brought such blessed relief. I kept that routine until I had no pills to take in the AM. only my PM pill left.

Same deal. forgot it on Mon. took it the rest of the week. next week, forgot it on M and F and took the rest. then MWF and took the rest. i stayed there for 2 weeks, and then knocked out the MWFand sunday pill. stayed there for 2 weeks. I reached frustration with the whole thing, and simply laid them down. I dealt with the tummy ache, and leg cramps for a week or 10 days, and then it got better and better. NO siezures, and I have been MS free for awhile now. I have RETAUGHT myself about sleep.

I go to bed at a certain hour, no matter what great thing is on TV. I had to keep to a schedule to retrain my brain. I Tivo or tape whatever was interesting. I get up at the same time everyday. it really did help to have a routine.

It was hard work, but I felt since we had found the answer to my situation was spastic, and not pain from bone as originally thought, it was MY choice to stop.

Its been a few weeks since your post. I hope you are doing well.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote