View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Thanks everyone for your input and feedback.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't have anything to do with my heart, because I have had "wall of my heart" infections before, and they occurred quite a ways up the body from where this pain is. Also, I had a TIA/stroke like occurrence last Xmas, and my heart was tested thoroughly at that time. (It was just the MS...)

I have had troublesome GERD for about 5 yrs too Ewizabeth (BTW, I'm only a few months behind you in age; 50 in June ), and I know that that can feel various different ways. I got heart-burn really bad when I tried Prozac for PMS about 20 yrs ago . . . and I swore I was having a heart attack. I take Nexium and Gaviscon on a regular basis for that problem already.

What it really feels like is the Ulcerative Colitis (if that dx was correct). I was checked for gallstones, pancreatitis, etc. back when I used to have UC attacks on a fairly regular basis, and it was the colonscopy (+ bleeding, etc.) that finally got me the UC dx. Basically the only difference now is that the pain is more of a chronic type then the ACUTE, fish-out-of-water, can't breath type that I am accustomed to from the UC.

I'm starting to wonder if what I've really had all along is chronic pancreatitis, with acute attacks . . . and perhaps not UC at all. (Just like I think I really have a vitamin B deficiency and not MS either. ) Just looking at the symptoms of pancreatitius, it sure seems to fit:

"Acute pancreatitis results in severe inflammation of the gland and patients may be seriously unwell.

Chronic pancreatitis develops either as the result of repeated attacks of acute pancreatitis or as the result of other injuries to the pancreas (see below).

Pain occurs in most patients at some stage of the disease. This may vary in intensity from mild to severe. It may last for hours or sometimes days at a time and may require strong painkillers to control it.

It often radiates through to the back and can sometimes be relieved by crouching forward. It is commonly brought on by food consumption and so patients may be afraid to eat. It is also commonly severe through the night.

The pain varies in nature, being gnawing, stabbing, aching or burning, but it tends to be constant and not to come and go in waves. It may sometimes burn itself out but can remain an ongoing problem.

The pain is often difficult to diagnose and can be mistaken for pain caused by virtually any other condition arising from the abdomen or lower chest.

It can be difficult to distinguish pain caused by pancreatitis from pain caused by a peptic ulcer, irritable bowel syndrome, angina pectoris, gallstones.

Diarrhoea occurs in just under half of patients. ... The undigested fat also traps water in the faeces, resulting in pale, bulky, greasy stools which are difficult to flush away. They may make the water in the toilet look oily, smell offensive and may be associated with bad wind.

Vomiting after meals is a less common symptom but can occur as a result of severe pain. It may also be due to duodenal ulceration, which is often connected with chronic pancreatitis. In rare cases, the duodenum may be narrowed as a result of scarring secondary to chronic pancreatitis."

Well, if it gets bad like yesterday, I guess I'll drop in the ER . . . but otherwise I will probably try to hang on till my doc appointment on Monday. I've been putting up with this for a couple of weeks (perhaps even years) already . . . a few more days isn't likely to hurt.

Thanks for all the ideas. I guess it could be any of them at this point.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (08-09-2008), FinLady (08-09-2008)