Thread: Pie Shells
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 07:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default General Crumble Topping/Granola Replacement

Okay, so technically this is not a pie shell... but its a very good crumble topping and would probably make a good granola replacement crust.

General Crumble You can put this topping on any pie filling and it's quite nice. Very fast, very easy. Can be made up in about 5 minutes.

I'm thinking this might also work as a nice granola recipe... maybe just add some raisins if a person like them too.

It's a nice breakfast, reheated or cold, the next morning.

I think the brown rice flour and buckwheat flour could be interchanged with any gf mix of flours you want. But this is how I made my Buckwheat crumble on the weekend and it was tasty enough that my daughter just wanted the crumble but not the rhubarb filling.

However, I never made a rhubarb filling before, so I think I need to sweeten it some more than I did. I've also since read that rhubarb is nicer when mixed with other fruits, rather than being alone in a pie or crumble.

1/2 cup arrowroot (I would think tapioca would be fine here though, as well)
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup walnuts (chopped or ground)
1/4 cup oil
4 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Heat oil and honey and mix well. Stir everything else in willy nilly. Remember, it's a crumble mix so it will be... crumbly. Now you're done.

I like to mix some of it in with the fruit mix on the bottom and then put the majority of it on top. To each their own though.

12/20/2002 The symptomatic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (see: docguide.com)
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote