View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Not to put any aspersions on this particular physician, Mel--

--but I know of many--I happen to think most--of the neurologists in the NYC metro area who have practices in neurology with real specializations in peripheral neuropathy (this is just from the research I've had to do over the years for my situation, and my involvement with many boards and the Neuropathy Association), and this individual's name is not familiar to me within that realm.

If it is who I believe it to be, he is better known for work on ALS, Myasthenia Gravis, and related neuromuscular disorders. Not that there isn't overlap between these neurological areas, but as many here have pointed out, if one has a choice, one would prefer to see someone in a practice devoted primarily to PN. And the number of physicians who fall into that category is not large. (And many of them are connected in some way to the Columbia Presbyterian or Cornell Weill health systems in NYC, which is where much of the local research in this field is carried out.)

During the time you've communicated about Alan's condition, I had pretty much assumed his improvement with Dr. T's administrations had meant Alan's condition was primarily compressive in nature (and certainly your massages' effects would corroborate this), possibly involving the nerve roots near the spine (a condition more accurately termed radiculopathy). It may have also involved the lower spine itself, though that would not be considered a peripheral neuropathy.

But now that you're saying that the interpretation of the radiology does not show anything that suggests spinal/nerve root compression/impingement . . .

Keep in mind also that doctors and radiologists can have radically different interpretations of the same films. Even additional opinions may be called for. Still, it would not hurt, if insurance will cover it, to get Alan a work-up following the Poncelet protocols and Liza Jane's charts--and I would suggest you bring the latter to any doctor you visit.

If you like, PM me and I'll give you a list of many of the city neuros who I know have specific PN practices or emphases.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote