View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 11:50 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

SSDI, VA, etc. RANT 101

SSDI is a nightmare for most people. I was seen, approved and had my check in 4 months.
I submitted around May 8, 2006. They lost my paperwork and I took copies to a local office in Sept 2006. I saw their doctor around Nov 2006 and had my check around Jan 20, 2007.
I have NO idea why I got such good service. I was 61 and on morphine, etc. I could not have worked as a door stop in my condition.

NOW, that said, I have been fighting with the VA since Valley Forge. AND Senator Boxer is about to help me there. The most frustrating thing about the VA is that they would NOT accept my Flight Physical from Air Force Flight Surgeons. Plus my daughter works for the VA in Calif., so they sent my records to Nevada and they expect me to drive to Reno, NV if I want to see them.

Back to SSDI. One thing to hammer across to our Congressional Reps is that the VA and Social Security might not be years behind IF they would quit handling the paperwork 3 or 4 times. The SSDI people told me it would take 4 months to get my check, if and when I was approved. I filed a congressional complaint on that. It is insane to tell us, in the day of emails, faxes, computer networks, that they cannot pay a person who is hurting physically and emotionally and financially .... to tell us they need 4 months is an insult to our intelligence. Even the IRS can deposit the money into our bank accounts electronically.

Now that I have bad mouthed SSDI, VA, etc. I will say this ... they are subject to the whims of Congress. My daughter told me Iraq Veterans are getting the priority at the moment. WWII vets are dying off daily and their cases are being ..... I want to be polite here, but they are not the priority like they should be. Squeaky wheel syndrome.

HEY, IF YOU HAVE TO SUE THEM, FIND A LAWYER WHO IS ALSO A DOCTOR. My daughter said one of the most effective attorneys she has seen in all her years is this lawyer who is also an MD. Look in your area for such an attorney. I don't know what he costs, but he will represent me against the VA (Veteran's Adversary). I even told the VA in Washington, D.C. to please just refuse me so I can sue them. No response. Time for my B vitamins.
Best wishes in your battles (seems like an odd word when you realize we paid into this program).