View Single Post
Old 11-04-2006, 12:43 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default correction: Liz

I was pretty sure that percocet wasn't oxycodone so I checked---it's hydrocodone.

I'm not sure that there are any combinations with oxycodone besides oxycodone IR itself.

I'm taking very little pain meds, and I'm not sure whether being a puritan over this is for the best or not. I can deal with the pain I have--it just wears me out. Doesn't keep me from going to work and doing what needs to be done--just takes the pleasure from what doesn't need to be done, but which I'm doing for fun.

So I think of myself as giving myself "holidays" from pain. For these I take oxycodone IR 15 mg, at night, and only rarely during the day.

I find it works well for quick relief--a pain vacation.

My concern about using the pain meds more is the side effects--I find the constipation and bloating more debilitating than the pain itself. I get so bloated I feel 9 months pregnant by the end of the day, and my abdominal girth hinders my movement more than the actual back pain. I don't know if anyone else feels this way.

Also, I get 'holidays" of steroids. This weekend I'm to drive 2 hours to visit my daughter at college. I haven't driven more than 15 minutes in a year, and my doctor gave me a medrol dosepak to lighten the pain so I could sit in the car. Does anyone ever do this? Steroids for pain?

It's not a perfect pain pill, but it definitely makes a big dent.

Given that I'm on the medrol now, I'm superenergized and up here on the board at 1am. Not sure this post is actual useful to anyone, Wittesea, I apologize if I've babbled you through to fluff.

But I guess my point was: oxycodone IR works for me, and a medrol dose pak when I need a break of more than a day.

--- LYME neuropathy diagnosed in 2009; considered "idiopathic" neuropathy 1996 - 2009
---s/p laminectomy and fusion L3/4/5 Feb 2006 for a synovial spinal cyst
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote