Thread: Tramadol
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 10:36 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac33 View Post
Tramadol, this is stuff that kinda fills me with loathing.

I was in 200mg (my doctor said this was the highest dose for someone my weight, 112 lb) a day several years ago, for a chronic pain issue (since resolved).

I found it didn't help much with the pain but it did have some striking side effects - frequent hallucinations of "shadow people", severe postural hypertension, and intense fatigue were the worst.

After several months I decided I couldn't put up with the side effects, so (very, very, very stupidly) I just stopped taking it cold turkey. The result was pretty much like heroin withdrawal, every bit as bad as TV and movies say, heh. I think the really acute withdrawal period lasted about a month (made worse because every now and again I would freak out, be unable to deal with the horrible, horrible insomnia, and pop 400-600mg) and there were some residual symptoms for considerably longer.

Mac33, looks like you are one of the unlucky ones. My wife had a similar experience with just 50mg, and as a nurse she says that a lot of oldies go loopy on it, so it is one to try carefully.
Have you tried codeine pain meds, and muscle relaxants? I find also that for the really bad occipital pains (the bear trap) Tramadol doesn't do it, and I need codeine as well as a muscle relaxant. Mersyndol for example.
Even so, they can still last for 12 hours or so. The secret for me is to hit hard and early. I can recognise the early signs now, so I dose up before it takes hold.
I get it bad usually once a week.
I buy the muscle relaxants as well, then cut them up, as it's a bit cheaper.

Peter B is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote