View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 08:32 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Pain meds tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrus View Post
Folks, like most of you, I have been in and out of hospitals for much of the last ten years. When we're talking about back pain (throw in shoulder replacement), we're talking about opiates. I have had to feel embarrassed telling doctors pre-surgery for the last 3 years that, because my tolerance is so high that 80 mgs of Oxycodone doesn't even touch my pain!!! Of course their reaction is one of disbelief and suspect.
Any suggestions??? I just got out of a 6th shoulder surgery last week and NOW I find that my cervical fusion needs to be revised ASAP due to nerve impingement. Any suggestions on other medications?? Dilauded tablets?? something stronger???
Please help!

Hi there, I just joined this board yesterday and have read so much information it is overwhelming, but... I am so right there with you on this.
I had a SI joint fusion nine years ago, now have L5 and S1 herniation with the sciatic nerve trapped. I have lupus as well as a few other diseases and common problems that go with lupus.
Getting to your pain med issue. I have also been looking and asking about the same exact thing. I too take 80 MG of oxy and it is embarrassing. DR's that meet me for the first time are in disbelief and some find it amazing that I actually was able to drive the vehicle the three hours to their office on that dosage of meds. You do what you have to do though to survive. Without the pain meds, thoughts of suicide are the only thing in the forefront of my mind. I can recall a time when I was trying to get some relief by laying in a hot tub of water and literally praying to God that he would just take me. I would never commit suicide as I am a christian, but I literally prayed for God to just take me and take me then. I know where you are coming from and I feel for you.
I have to see a neurosurgeon the end of this month for the disc herniation and I hope he can help is all I can say.
My joint Fusion, done by DR Ziran, who is a top notch DR. really did nothing much for reducing the pain. The actual joint pain was lessened by doing the fusion, but one of my biggest problems is that I held off so long on having the surgery done that I did a lot of nerve, tendon and ligament damage to that joint and nerves that run through your pelvis.
Something that someone suggested to me and I have to try to find some information on it, is either a pain pump, or for lack of the correct term.. cutting of the nerves. I don't know in this situation if that is an option or not with regards to the pain I have from the SI joint.
Other than the pain pump or the nerve cutting I have not heard of anything else that can be done.
Just know, you are definitely not alone in this situation.
Take care of yourself the best you can.
teemac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote