View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Summertime,

I have just completed a 3 week intense Physical Therapy program at a childrens hospital in London and it did make my pain worse whilst I did the therapy and for quite a while afterwards but it did help me somewhat. Before I went on the program, I couldn't walk at all and now I am able to walk short distances on my own. I still have the horrible pain, swelling, spasms etc but it makes things easier now that I am able to walk somewhat.

I would definately stick to the therapy - I know at times I just wanted to take the easy option and go home but the PT's wouldn't let me and told me that it was for my own good (even though it didn't seem like it at the time!!).

Almost everyone who has RSD has had some sort of Physical Therapy and for most of them it did make the pain worse in the short term!!

It might be an idea for you to speak to a Psychologist also if you haven't already - they gave me some breathing techniques and coping stratergies to use when the pain got too and they may be useful for you also.

The Physical Therapists on the program I have been on always used to ask me if the exercises hurt and when I replied "YES" in a very tearful voice they would tell me that that was a good sign as it was doing something and I was doing the exercises correctly!!

I would speak to your Physical Therapist and tell them that the PT is making your pain worse and ask them what their advice is.

Sorry that I can't help you that much but if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me!

Pain free hugs
Alison
Summertime (08-12-2008)