View Single Post
Old 09-06-2006, 01:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Living with strangers is never easy......

DON'T I KNOW IT! I have lived away from home since I was 20, primarily with complete strangers in share houses while at uni, and when I first started working, and couldn't afford the entire rent on a unit of my own.

I've been in a similar situation to the one Austin was in, where the owner of the house virtually "banned" me from every area of the house (and yard) apart from my bedroom - I was practically a prisoner. I boarded with a fellow (just up the road from where I now live) who was a friend of someone my mum worked with (and was in his 50s) who kept trying to make advances at me and grope me ( ), while at uni I boarded with a fellow who had a six bedroom house and rented out all the bedrooms but his own, and then began a relationship with one of the other boarders, who was also a student at the uni. I've shared houses with people who never contributed to the rent, leaving me to pay all of it, which seemed to defeat the purpose of having someone else in the house. In the end, I decided that the best way was on my own (eventhough it was more expensive) primarily for the peace of mind.

Unfortunately I have never had a friend who I could share a house with, as many of my friends continued to live at home while they studied, meaning I had no option but to live with strangers.

As for bringing up the hydro issue, I either didn't say anything about it to most of the people I mentioned above, or only told them about it when I felt comfortable about it, which may have taken several months. It is the same at work - I don't tell anyone unless I believe they will be understanding and not judge me because of it.

I'm glad Austin has found a place he is happy in now though. Maybe he needs a "family" atmosphere, rather than a "room-mate" atmosphere. I hope all goes well .

Nat.
Nat Hyland is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote