View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 04:48 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydee View Post
Hi Everyone:

I just returned from a frustating visit with my ortho dr. I've had symptoms for TOS for some time including: heaviness in forearms, pain in right shoulder, pain in neck and upper back, mottled skin in right arm, numbness in fingers.

I have been visiting doctors for months, and they all tell me they can find nothing wrong. Finally I found a website on RSI and ordered some books and did further research. I am a programmer who used to spend many, many hours typing probably with poor posture and no breaks. I have had upper back, neck, and shoulder pain for years.

My ortho doc. is now saying that I may have tendonitis in the shoulder and ulnar nerve entrapment at the elbow. He won't address the pain in my left forearm and fingers.

After my lengthy introduction, I have a couple of questions...

1) Will a MRI of the cervical spine show compression at the brachial plexus?

2) Can fluctuating high blood pressure be a symptom of TOS?

3) Is it common to get the runaround from doctors, and is it difficult to find one who specializes in repetitive strain injuries?

Thanks!

Hi sunnydee, you have certainly found the right place - im fairly new here and have had loads of help, advice and support during the last 5 months or so!.

I have had big probs finding a good dr - as have a lot of people on here with TOS. I have been to a rheumatologist, neuro surgeon and now im moving onto a vascular surgeon.....it is a very frustrating process but most people on here seem to have been given the runaround. Persistence is the key i think, although it is extremely difficult to stay motivated when you are made to feel that its all in your head!

My story sounds fairly similar to yours - i had a computer intense job and perhaps that combined with a fall down some stairs triggered my symptoms.....short list is: severe shoulder blade pain, hand pain/coldness/colour changes, arm & neck heaviness/weakness, collarbone pain and boniness the list can go on and on!.

I have had an MRI with and without contrast dye....one showed up some abnormalities such as thickened neurovascular bundle and asymmetry under my collar bone - however i have not yet had anyone talk in any detail about this to me as they keep passing the buck!!. Im not sure that many people on here have had much success with MRI's - diagnosing TOS is much more of a hands on examination diagnosis - such as the adsons test.

Others here will be able to help you so much more and im sure they will be around soon!

take care
TraceyW is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote