View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 12:56 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Cherie,

I know!!! It's the only thing that makes sense to me now! It has been driving me nuts trying to figure out how this happened!

My Neuro took one look at my thighs and I described the pain and she knew it was muscle and nerve damage. She said it was serious. I didn't even think about it being from Zocor since it was in the area of my thighs where I inject. She was just as puzzled as I was at how it could happen to both thighs within a few weeks. She said it wasn't the Avonex because my symptoms hadn't changed and the problem was in my thighs.

I have no idea why I thought of it this morning! It just hit me, I guess because I just don't seem to be getting any better. I keep thinking I am but I'm trying to be optimistic because I'm not better. When I started looking for my zocor receipt and saw the date I started it was 4/30 and my reaction started 4 days later, I couldn't believe it.

I googled zocor and side effects and there it was. It's a rare side effect. The muscle and nerve damage really scares me because I don't know if it will heal. They look terrible and I have a couple of small numb areas. What a mess!!

Everybody I know is on cholesterol medication so it never crossed my mind until today. Everything we take has side effects. I'll just have to wait and see how things go.

When my Neuro saw the damage to my thighs, she said she did not know if it would heal but hoped the Gabapentin would help the nerve pain. I still can't believe that I didn't tell her I was on zocor because she would have picked up on that immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
Now this makes MUCH more sense to me. It didn't seem that it could be a injection reaction of any kind, since the pain happened in the opposite leg of the shot . . . and especially if the doc thought it was NOT the med itself.

I don't know why it didn't occur to me either, that maybe it was another med you started around the same time.

If it is because of a side effect from Zocor, would this a temporary side-effect, or could it potentially permanent damage?

Cherie

IMAGINE
RRMS - 1992 -- SPMS - 1993
Not on DMD's

Becky21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bearygood (08-13-2008)