View Single Post
Old 11-04-2006, 02:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The MDA's most recent response ....on their website...as to the "current " state of the wheelchair situation....

PART OF NEW MEDICARE POLICY FIXED
TUCSON, Ariz., Nov. 3, 2006 — In a favorable move for people with progressive neuromuscular diseases, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services announced a revision to Medicare’s coverage criteria for power wheelchairs.

The Power Mobility Devices policy change removes a reference to a person’s ability to stand and pivot transfer, with or without assistance, as criteria for eligibility for a power wheelchair with more than basic features.

The revised criteria now states “the patient’s mobility limitation is due to a neurological condition, myopathy or congenital skeletal deformity.”

However, no change was made to the new fee schedule that will reduce Medicare reimbursement by up to 40 percent for some wheelchairs.

“I’m gratified that the government listened to the pleas of our community and changed the eligibility policy, but I’m still very concerned about the cost issue,” MDA National Chairman Jerry Lewis said. “A quality wheelchair is often very expensive, but also very vital, to many people served by MDA. I won’t give up on our effort to get this part of the policy changed as well.”

The new schedule is slated to go into effect Nov. 15. Read more about MDA and Lewis’ efforts to stop the implementation of the policy and to learn how you can get involved.

http://www.mda.org/news/061101lewis_medicare.html

---------------------------------------------------------------
It seems the MDA and ALSA do indeed..have different opinions on the issue...as well as how to respond...the MDA is still encouraging writing of our Congressmen as they feel the current changes to date are improving..but " still not satisfactory"....
On a personal note...the MDA clinics were very insturmental in getting my husband what he needed equipment wise and making adaptations to it...on 6 different occasions they appllied for Medicare coverage of different wheelchair adaptations...although in his present state he can no longer sit in a wheelchair more than an hour...for years they made it more comfortable for him and even went to three different operating modes as he progressed......I feel all PALS should be entitled to comfort and as much independence as posiible for as long as possible...the current changes in Medicare policies are "still" disturbing indeed...Lisa

Last edited by lisag; 11-04-2006 at 03:18 PM.
lisag is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote