View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 09:41 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Book gas prices

The $4/gallon of gas has made me change my habits. I used to do an errand a day because that's all i have the energy to do. but i can't afford to do that at these prices.

And I also do what I can to care for my elderly parents. They are in their 80s (Dad has Alzheimers and Mom is the caretaker). My mother still drives but pretty much only to the local grocery store. So when I come for my weekly visit, I am met at the door with a list of places she needs to go to, and a list of people to phone for her (she is hard of hearing so i make phone calls for her, too) This starts with a 50 mile round trip to their house, plus whatever mileage gets added depending on where she wants to go that day.

Tomorrow I'll take Mother to her cardiology appointment - an extra 40 miles for me to drive. i often have to take a nap at their house before heading home. That puts me at the height of rush hour traffic to return home, but what can you do?

We're trying to get respite care for my mom, and of course I have to be there for interviews with prospective aides for my dad. Oh well, regardless of how hard the trips are getting for me, it's easier than when we lived in Virginia! At least i'm local.

And in addition to all this, we are applying for Medicaid for my dad, and that may involve multiple trips to the lawyers or other stops to help with the paperwork regarding that process. It's been 8 months so far and we're not done yet! if anyone wants details, PM me - and i'll be glad to share.

So the rest of the week I pretty much stay home and if there are errands to be done, i wait for the weekend and my husband & I go out together.

Asi es la vida!

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote