View Single Post
Old 11-04-2006, 05:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm english so we don't quite have the same issues - I mean getting DLA (disability living allowance) seems to be quite a lottery but nothing like the SSDI (finally they put me up to full care and full mobility - at last! seeing as I can't walk/ move my legs, can't use arms/ hands and need care for evreything.. from getting on the toilet, to dressing, transfering, being fed etc... I reckon I just about qualify..)

Also... one of my american friends who suffered an accident and became a ventilator dependent quadraplegic after breaking his neck was still messed around by SSDI - they said that he could be at a call centre if he had a headset - his reply was that erm// he was on a ventilator and did they REALLY want him sounding like darth vader? also the fact he'd need to come to work with a nurse!! just proves how totally inept the whole SSDI thing is. But stick with it! common sense will hopefully prevaile

I have just had my incapacity benefit turned down as I am a full time student - therefore they believe I could work if I chose too... erm... yeh... the fact that I can only use a computer with dragon and i'm taking a degree so that I actually have a chance to get a job and work at something that isn't totally menial (that I can fit in around pain/ enforced rests etc) and that I enjoy... GRRR.

they are so silly!

anyway keep fighting!!
love
Rosie xxxxx