View Single Post
Old 11-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Hi Everybody, thanks for birthday wishes.

Alan wants to cancel on Monday and go to a Peripheral neuropathy program at Methodist. I have no idea what he will decide to do. It's up to him.

I think he should keep this appointment on Monday but hey, he has to make the decision.

Now, today I went to a surprise birthday party for my brother in law. My sister in law kept telling me: "melody, I can't wait for you to come, there will be a 100 year old lady there, she's Carl's aunt. You'll love her.

I absolutely love old old people (over 95) because they've been around forever and they know what it takes to live longer than I do and I always like to pick their brain.

So we get to the mansion. It's in Short Hills, NJ, up on this hill.

Seventy people are there. Big big house, many many rooms.

So I'm mingling and trying to find the 100 year old lady. I'm being introduced to this person and that person and I find myself standing in the kitchen having a lovely conversation with a woman with an accent and she goes, who are you?" I said "I'm Carol's sister in law and this is my husband Alan".

So we are all shaking hands, and we are talking about how much food is out on the different tables, and she's eating and drinking and we're laughing for about 20 minutes. My sister in law comes over hysterical and I go, "so where's the 100 year old lady I'm supposed to meet". All of a sudden this woman comes up to me, starts laughing and says "you've been talking to her for over 20 minutes, she's my mother".

I just looked at her. I gaped and said "you're 100 years old?, you've got to be kidding". She walked, she talked, she had a beautiful makeup on, she had her hair done, she stood erect, she ate, she drank, she conversed and she looked all of 65 years old. If her husband had lived they would have been married for 77 years.

I just hugged her gently (I was afraid of breaking her 100 year old body).

I just said "Oh my god, how do you do that?" She said "do what?" I said 'cmon, you're the second person in my life that I met who is 100 and the other one was in bed, wouldn't come out of her room in the nursing home, and eats peanut butter only". "How do you do it?". She started to laugh and her daughter said "yesterday, she woke up with a little pain in her back and said "oy veh", my back hurts" and the daughter told her "shut up, mama, you're 100". We all burst out laughing.

It seems she goes to many parties (this was her 3rd this week). Some guy in her senior citizen place, too her dancing last week. She volunteers several times a week and various places and well, she just blew me away.

I took pictures of her so when I get them developed, believe me I'll share them.

I hugged her when I left and told her I want to come to her 110th birthday party. She said "no problem".

Oh, they ran a slide show in the big tv room. They have this 65 inch television and my niece took 100 photos from different times in the birthday guy's life (many included me and Alan). and made them on some kind of dvd with music. You should have seen everybody's face when Alan and I came up on the screen from 26 years ago. We both weighed close to 300 lbs.

Well, I never laughed in all my life. Alan kept saying "change the screen, we don't look like that anymore". what a hoot!!!! I even said out loud "that's me??? you've got to be kidding, I never looked like that!!!

Alan blurts out "you were even bigger". Then I murdered him!!!!

So all in all, it was a good day, now I have to go and see if Alan is going to see the guy on Monday or not.

Will update.

Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me!!!!!

Melody
MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote