View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 10:18 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Crazy Another opinion--now I have MG?

Once a doctor told me that "opinions are like noses, everybody has one" This is certainly the case.

As my local neuro is useless, and I'm not expecting anything from Hopkins but a "consult" (last time when I was sent there for possible MS all I got was a letter saying probably not MS, maybe MG, we don't know...thank you for this referal), I found another "local" neurologist (actually in Bethesda MD, about 2 hours away, but I work up there and (should be) up there 3 days a week.

This new doctor actually seems quite competent (giving neurologists a good name again?)...he actually read the records I provided him and did a though exam. He thinks that the neurologist at Hopkins is wrong (although he would like to get the results of all the blood work they did and thinks I should follow up with the GI/swallowing and pulmonary consults there). He thinks that I do have MG, and possibly also an autoimmune peripheral neuropathy. He thinks that the Hopkins neurologist misinterpreted my temor for a positive "jaw reflex". Now of course he wants to repeat some of the EMG stuff that hasn't been done for years and said I may need a muscle biopsy (which Hopkins thinks will be needed also...which is one reason they want me off IVIG)

I don't know who is right---everyone wants to wait for everyone else to see me before they do anything. So far I'm stable, still pretty crappy, but stable. Hopefully by the end of September, when I see the new neuro again all the results will be in (I don't have a follow up appoint with the neuro at Hopkins...she said she would call me---I'm still waiting...

Meanwhile, I get my surgical J-tube (permanent feeding tube) scheduled for Monday...I'm not looking forward to that, but at least I won't have to worry about it cloging or pulling out as often as my G-J tube has.
eeyore2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote