View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 02:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Bobi, I just finally talked to someone yesterday. She is the new Director of Special Services at my son's school. She said that they were making up a basic outline of what kind of things would be available for my son.

His last IEP meeting was in early spring of '08. The only special class he was taking was Study skills. They were making teachers aware of his disability and that was about it. He did not want or need any special education classes because he is capable of doing the work just not in that kind of setting.

He is enrolled in a special program through the school that allows him to take a class off campus at the Skill Center that is 2 1/2 hours that he is looking forward to, it is Video Production. (nothing to do with special education) I also want him to test out of a class he failed that he was to take over summer but we know he can pass. I want him to be able to possibly take classes at home online but so far they are telling me if they are available on campus then he can't. HIs biggest problem seems to be that he is incapable of functioning in that kind of setting. He is tired or distracted, bored, impatient, unfocused, just too long to try to sit in a chair and pay attention. If it weren't for his wanting to go to the Skill Center so badly I would maybe try strictly online homeschooling maybe. I am no good at math though and that is a bad one for him. He will have to go to school for that or something.

I have been trying to get in contact with someone for a couple of weeks but because everyone is in and out or transferring then they are not getting my messages. I just got lucky with my call yesterday. There is no meeting set up yet. They will call me soon to set something up. I do have a group called Cause's phone number and had considered calling them to get an idea of what to do.

I am in Flint, Michigan, Genesee County

Thanks Bobi, I really appreciate it.