Thread: Selfish spouse?
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 06:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The best thing that you can do for your wife is to get her to a therapist. And a psychiatrist. Antidepressants are one of the best things that happened to me in my struggle with pain. That and my therapist and my spinal cord stimulator. Believe it or not but there is always something around the corner. There is always another medicine, a therapist, an injection, a block, a spinal cord stimulator or many other options. Meditation. Group therapy. Support Groups. I've been at this for 14 of my 26 years, and I know that there is always something else. And trust me, there have been times when I have desperately wanted to end it all. Before I got my Spinal Stim, I wanted it done and over with. But then I tried another thing, and lo and behold, things got better. Believe it or not but you guys really are just at the start of this as far as using up options.

I think the fact that you are even considering your wife's suicide as an option means that your thinking is a little screwed up too and that you should consider seeking help for yourself. Being a caretaker is difficult and can sometimes warp your point of view. It kind of sounds like that's what happening to you. You need a support system too. You need to talk to other people who are in the same situation as you. You need to remember to take care of yourself as well. Sometimes things get bad, and sometimes they get really bad. But death is not the answer.

If you truly love this woman, you will tell her that she is being the selfish one. Suicide is selfish. If you want to help her, help her to feel better physically and mentally. She's in a hole and she doesn't know how to get out. Giving her permission to kill herself or even entertaining that idea will only send her the message that she really is the burden that she believes herself to be.

I'm sorry if this is a little harsh, but come on! You're asking us to give you permission to let your wife kill herself. If you really want to do that kind of thing, it's on your own conscience, not ours. Think of this as a big fat wake up call. Get her help and get yourself help while you're at it.
Lynn
Lynns409 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote